Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Hubcap Place: Mel's Tires in Florence, SC

Between meetings for a project back home, I stopped by this place and asked if they'd mind my sketching. The owner really got a kick out of it, and even brought me a chair to sit in.


I remember this place so well from growing up.  A place for which you made your parents drive the long way home. An article appeared in the local paper a few years ago (see this link) telling the story of the father, Melvin Wright, who started the business, and the son, Melvin, Jr., who is keeping it up.

Of architectural interest is the building itself. The Pure Oil Company built its gas stations in the 30's and 40's in a Tudor Revival style, attempting to blend with the residential neighborhoods in which they were built. This example still has the original circular blue enamel sign above the entrance, echoing the shape and size of the hundreds of hubcaps hanging on the building.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice Dewey.
    I did not know you're an artist as well as a musician.
    I love your rendering of " The Hub Cap Place". It is definitely a place of high interest.
    I've photographed it several times in the past. Maybe I should go by and photograph it once more (with my new camera!) before heading West again.
    It was great to see you a couple of times while I was here.
    Y'all take care, and please keep in touch on facebook.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete